How food can I avoid so that my belching is reduced ?

I have a problem where sometimes I get a build up of pressure in my stomach and chest after I eat - which causes me to belch - a lot. Sometimes very large belches up to every few seconds, and it can last for hours. It's very sporadic - sometimes it does not happen for months - other times I get it after almost every time I eat. The things that do definitely cause it are bread, beer, some fast-food, and also smoking. 8 or 9 times out of 10 I can drink beer or eat pizza etc no problem, but other time I eat or drink something and start bur[ing within seconds.

I went to an allergy doctor and they told me I have a 'mild intolerance' to Wheat and Yeast. He told me to give up all wheat, yeastand sugar for one month and take bio-acidophilus. I did this and it helped, but it did not cure it - and I would not do it again as I lost so much weight. I'm male, 30, 5'6 and only weigh 125 pounds. I went down to under 115 last time I did this, I don;t want to loose any more weight.
Sometimes if I just have not eaten and I'm hungry I'll start burping. A few times it has got so bad I had to vomit to get rid of it. I try taking things like Gavison and Rennie etc - it helps a bit but only time can really stop it.

Realistically it's not feasible for me to Completely stop eating bread, fatty foods & beer etc - I have already cut down my smoking to just a few a week (socially). I'm wondering what other things can i try or what is the best advice you have for me?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 8 hours later
Thanks for the query,

You mentioned that you get continuous belching after taking bread, beer, fast food and smoking. Also that some times are your perfectly fine and at other occasions, the symptoms aggravate.

Bloating and burping are natural and are usually caused by swallowed air or the breakdown of food through digestion. You may experience gas and gas pains only occasionally or repeatedly in a single day.

Following conditions aggravate belching in healthy individuals.

1. Eating fatty foods. Fat delays stomach emptying and can increase the sensation of fullness
2. Stress or anxiety
3. Smoking
4. A gastrointestinal infection, blockage or disease, Hernias
5. abdominal pain or cramping and changes in bowel function
6. Conditions such as celiac disease or lactose intolerance in which the intestines aren't able to digest and absorb certain components of food

What I understand is that, you have an upper GI discomfort. And this gets aggravated intermittently.

The first step you must take is to get an Upper GI endoscopy done which will help to rule out all structural lesions as well as peptic ulcer disease and celiac disease.

Secondly, avoid carbonated rinks, beer (Even though your symptoms occasionally), fatty foods, chewing gum (To avoid swallowing of air) and eat slowly. Smoking relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter and aggravates the belching.

Completely avoiding carbohydrates is impractical and such a step can be taken only after an Endoscopy and Biopsy to rule out other common Gastrointestinal diseases.

Hope this answers your query,

Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards