How effective is this winolap 5mg to a patient having throat infection and is on dialysis?

how effective is this winolap 5mg to a patient who has a throat infection n who is also a CKD n is on dialysis?
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 17 minutes later

Winolap 5 mg contains Olopatadine hydrochloride, it is an antihistamine most commonly used for eye irritation or conjunctivitis but not regularly used for throat infection. It not a contraindicationto be used in CKD. I would prefer her taking montec LC more than winolap or maybe a levocetrizine 10mg. Let the doctor who has examined her take the final call.
I would like to add here that the cough per say in her need not always mean a throat infection as sometimes in CKD patients volume over load status can produce similar symptoms so please approach your nephrologist to rule out pulmonary edema as well

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I will be happy to get back

I wish her good health and a speedy recovery

Follow-up: How effective is this winolap 5mg to a patient having throat infection and is on dialysis? 25 hours later
Hi! my wife has started this medicine Montec LC along with winolap 5mg according to her doctors prescription due to her never ending cough yet it still does not seem to help her much with it.>......she is taling a medicine which has a what will u advice her during such a case...the cough sometimes leads to choke.....
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 hours later

Thanks for the query

If she is taking winolap with Montec lc then it's fine, there is no need to up the dose any further.
Let her gargle her throat with betadine gargle or warm salt water, if it still doesn't help then you could use a cough suppressing agent like codeine syrup. The main issue with codeine is constipation and failure to bring out mucous. Please check with your doctor before starting that. It is a very good cough suppressant.

I hope I was of help
Sorry for the delay in the reply, I just got back from the hospital