How early pregnancy can be detected through blood test?

May 2013
how early can you detect a pregnacy in a blood test how early can you detect a pregnacy in a blood test
Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 36 minutes later
thanks for the query.

There are three types of blood tests to detect pregnancy.

1.quantitative blood tests:

pregnancy is generally detected in blood tests by estimating the levels of HCG( Human chorionic gonadotropin).

This HCG can be detected in blood after implantation. Usually implantation occurs 6 to 12 days after fertilization. Means as ovulation usually occurs in 12 to 16 days of first day of menstruation, the time of implantation will be around 20 to 26 days from first day of menstruation.

These quantitative tests can detect HCG levels even at 1mIU/ml.

So by this test we can detect the pregnancy around 25th to 26th day of cycle in case of regular periods.

2.qualitative tests:

this tests can detect pregnancy at HCG levels of 25mIU/ml.

They are less sensitive and by this test pregnancy can be detected after missed period.

3.rosette inhibition assay test:

it detects EPF(early pregnancy factor) instead of HCG.

This EPF can be detected in pregnancy within 48 hours of fertilization. So it can detect pregnancy around 16 to 18 days from first day of periods.

But this test is expensive and available in few centers only.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.