How does suboxone work with pain receptors to control pain?

Excellent

Question
Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...How effective is it for pain Control? I am addicted to percocet and morphine. I have been on then for six years. I have had 5 spinal surgeries and a complete cervical fusion. Many places I have read says it is not for pain control but that's what my doctor says she wants to put me on. Please help.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Effective in pain in distribution of nerve. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Percocet (Oxycodone and Acetaminophen) and morphine are opioid. These are very effective it controlling pain caused due to neuropathy. But main problem with them is they are highly addictive as you have became. In your case, because of previous spinal surgeries and cervical fusion, pain is due to compression of the spinal nerves. Even if these medicines are addictive, your doctor has prescribed them as they are only effective in your pain. Remember that these are for controlling pain only and not treating the cause. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: How does suboxone work with pain receptors to control pain? 20 hours later
My question was regarding using subozone for pain relief now that I can no longer take the percocet or morphine. How does suboxone work with pain receptors to control my pain.

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Suboxone will help. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up. You haven't mentioned about Suboxone in your previous query. As you have said that you are addicted to Percocet and morphine which your treating doctor is aware of. She has prescribed you Suboxone(buprenorphine and naloxone). It is usually given to treat opioid addiction. The interesting thing is that depending upon the application form, it also helps in moderate to severe pain. Suboxone is given in sub -lingual form and will help in reducing pain. But neuralgic(Nerve pain) component of the pain will not be taken care of. I suggest you to start with Suboxone and if pain doesn't subside, consult your treating doctor for addition of pregabalin to your prescription. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: How does suboxone work with pain receptors to control pain? 3 hours later
So I want to be clear, suboxone is NOT effective for nerve pain, correct? My doctor is withdrawing me from the percocet and morphine and then putting me on the suboxone for my severe chronic pain. I can not take Neurontin because I have had kidney failure 4 times in the last 12 months and now have CKD stage 3. Can opiods be given in addition to the suboxone for pain control. I am very confused as every where I read about suboxone it says not to be used for pain. Please continue to advise me. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, Suboxone is not effective for nerve pain. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow -up. Yes, Suboxone is not effective for nerve pain. It reduces moderate to severe pain, so it can reduce your pain to much extent and in some patients complete relief is seen. You have to give it a try. You are correct, due to CKD, pregabalin or gabapentin cannot be given to you. Other options can be discussed with your doctor after starting Suboxone and follow -up. Your treating doctor is doing, what is right for you. Percocet and morphine is withdrawn in tapering doses to prevent the withdrawal symptoms. After these are discontinued completely, Suboxone will be started. Your doctor is already aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. As suboxone and opioids are completely opposite to each other, taking them together will harm you. So they are not advised together. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Wish you good health.