How does psoriatic arthritis impacts osteoarthritis of the spine?

Dermatologist
Question
I would like to know how psoriatic arthritis impacts osteoarthritis of the spine.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello, In osteoarthritis there is degeneration of bone and inflammation of the bone tissue. In psoriatic arthritis there occurs calcification and stiffness of ligaments leading to restriction of movement. In short osteoarthritis causes pain but no deformity but psoriatic arthritis mainly causes deformity. If both are present, the spine becomes painful, weak and deformed. Let me know if you have any other doubts.

Follow-up: How does psoriatic arthritis impacts osteoarthritis of the spine? 10 hours later
If I am treating the psoriatic arthritis aggressively now and my rheumatologist says that it is early in the disease, might that make a difference in improving my spine even with the osteo? Thank you for your answers.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer: keep exercising Detailed Answer: Hello An aggressive treatment against psoriatic arthritis will definitely help in osteoarthritis. Just remember to keep exercising so as keep the spine mobile and prevent contracture. Thank you

Follow-up: How does psoriatic arthritis impacts osteoarthritis of the spine? 45 hours later
Ok. So... For my final question, did my psoriatic arthritis CAUSE my osteoarthritis? (Thank you for your knowledgeable answers.)

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hello Yes, there is a possibility that psoriatic arthritis may lead to osteoarthritis. In psoriatic arthritis there is sclerosis which may lead to disuse atrophy and damage to bones hence leading to osteoarthritis. Take treatment for psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis will get resolved on its own. Thank you