How does probitics work for IBS. What kind of probiotic should I take for IBS?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014
Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi i am a 33 yr old male, wt 71, ht 171 cm, i have been suffering from IBS for more than a year, however recently its taken a toll on me, been have diarrhea for the past of 3 months and nothing seems to be stopping it. I have been reading about probiotics and it seems to be working, would like to take your opinion to understand how probitics work for IBS and what is the kind of probiotics i should be taking to control my IBS D.
Thank You
XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 39 minutes later
Hello
Welcome to XXXXXXX

IBS or irritable bowel syndrome is a distressing problem. You have been suffering from IBS for about a year. You have started having diarrhea since last 3 months.

There are many drugs which are useful in diarrhea in IBS. Yes probiotics will help in symptoms. Probiotics like lactobacillus containing formulations can be taken like Sporac or Bifilac XXXXXXX twice a day. They will help in forming proper consistency of stools.
A lot of other medicines can be taken to improve symptomatology like-

- Paroxetine is a very good medicine in IBS with diarrhea. It is an antidepressant drug so it will help to remove stress also. It is very useful in cases of diarrhea with IBS.

- For symptomatic relief medicines like Loperamide can be taken. This is anti motility drug and will help to control diarrhea. 2-4 mg tablets are usually given twice a day. It can cause constipation so gradual dose escalation is advised. Visit a good psychiatrist for proper evaluation.

- Try yoga, and relaxation exercises to get proper relief.

If you have more questions you can ask again. Thanks

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD

Follow-up: How does probitics work for IBS. What kind of probiotic should I take for IBS? 20 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response doctor, i have also read about whey protein supplements (isolates) being help full for IBS is this true, i believe i am lactose intolerant as well but not sure. Have been drinking milk tea all my life hasnt affected me but recently when i stopped tea i saw some change but nothing drastic. Pls tell more about probiotics what are the options available in india for the same. I have been working out like basic exercises and trying out meditation, but very early to see any results, hopefully should see some change in the long run.

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 15 minutes later
Hello again

See whey protein is an isolate of milk proteins only. It will be intolerant to you if you are allergic to milk. But so far there is no major studies which support role of Whey in treating IBS. I can tell you that most likely you are not lactose intolerant because you were taking tea for long time and lactose allergy present in different ways. Still if you want to get yourself checked go for Lactase test in blood as well as other definitive tests as LHBT (Lactase Hydrogen Breath Test) and LIT (Lactose intolerance test). These are available in many good labs.

Probiotics as Sporlac, Bifilac, Vizylac etc are available in India, these are useful in IBS as well as also in Lactose intolerance.

Exercise and yoga will take time to show results. Proper relaxation is achieved in time.

If you have more questions you can ask again, If satisfied with my conversation please review.

Thanks
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD

Follow-up: How does probitics work for IBS. What kind of probiotic should I take for IBS? 9 minutes later
Thank you, could you also pls let me know what are the know side effects for Sporlac, Bifilac, Vizylac and how can these be managed and if i am taking these medications how long should it be taken and how long is expected to be a safe period of usage and what are the symptoms to look out for if i am using this medication. Appreciate your response

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 8 minutes later
Hello again

As these are probiotics there are virtually no side effects with them. Usual dosing are one XXXXXXX twice a day. You may have a little bloating and flatulance with these probiotics. There is no serious side effects. You can take them for at least 4 weeks and then you will see improvement. They are not harmful even in long term use.

Hope I solved your query, if you have more questions you can ask again in follow up, and if satisfied with answer please rate.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD

Follow-up: How does probitics work for IBS. What kind of probiotic should I take for IBS? 44 hours later
Hello doctor, some of the things which i missed earlier is that i have gas, bloating and belching as well i believe this is also because of IBS. will the same medication help out or should i be having a different medication for the same. Also what is the kind of diet i should follow will a high protein diet help. am also trying to build my muscles and this IBS has been keeping me away for a while and am not XXXXXXX how i can improve my diet.

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 10 minutes later
Hello again

If you are having belching, gas, bloating then you can take any good antacid like Omeprazole or Rabeprazole. Take the medicines empty stomach early morning for at least 4 weeks. You will see improvement in these symptoms.
High protein diet with low fat will help in symptoms also and will help in building muscles. Don't take protein supplements but increase protein content in diet, take plenty of pulses, cereals.

Thanks

Follow-up: How does probitics work for IBS. What kind of probiotic should I take for IBS? 6 minutes later
Thank You, i was prescribed Mucaine (antacid) by a doctor some time back would that be all right moreover can i take these when i am taking the probiotics. you did say not to go for protein supplements but just out of curiosity i was looking for Whey protein Isolates, should i just stay out of it completely. I know i might be little greedy here but you know it helps tremendously with muscle growth.

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 12 minutes later
Hello again

- Mucaine is good drug but it will not help in bloating. It will just provide relief in pain. It is used on SOS basis. Proton pump inhibitors as I mentioned earlier they will help you more than Mucaine. You can take probiotics with them.

- Whey proteins will help, instead some doctors reported that they are very helpful in IBS also.

Thanks

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD

Follow-up: How does probitics work for IBS. What kind of probiotic should I take for IBS? 25 minutes later
so i can safely conclude that i can take whey protein supplements along with the probiotics, which could control my IBS condition and also help build my muscles.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 4 minutes later
Yeah sure whey protein will help you.
There is no side effect of taking whey with probiotics.
Try relaxation exercises along with these methods.

Hope I cleared your queries, if satisfied with answer please review.

Thanks