How does one treat swollen reactive lymph nodes ?

I have swelling in the lower front right of my neck with some pain, swelling under my mandibular joint on both sides without pain, and some pain under my left clavicle. I'm also having some "sensation" at my xyphoid process ( I had a hernia repair here a few months ago). This started maybe two weeks ago. Also I have had cramping type pain in my abdomen, usually in my right kidney area but it moves around some. I did have a hemicolectomy about 4 years ago after significant bout with diverticulitis but it does not feel like that. I am experiencing higher gas and stomach is bloated.
I do not have a sore throat but my throat does feel weird ( dryness with some sputum that builds up when I do not talk, it has a funny taste too).
I didn't think too much of it because I have set up a doctors appt for Friday, however tonight I am having some spells of disorientation, with a flu like feel but no fever, chills, or muscle aches. The swelling in my neck is starting to hurt more.

I take prilosec and lisinopril.
My weight is 210 pounds and am about 5'-10". I have recently gained weight unexplicably.
I'm just concerned about the disorientation and wondered if I should seek care quicker.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 51 minutes later

Thanks for the query

On reading the description about your swelling , I feel that the swelling must be swollen reactive lymphnodes.These generally occur along with an infection any where in the body ,and at times become painful and even cause problems in swallowing .They may be seen in multiple areas,neck,clavicle, axilla,etc being the common areas.

The disorientation you are having could be due to a hormonal imbalance or an electrolyte imbalance , or a fall/ rise in blood pressure.

I would also suggest you to get a thyroid profile test done. Symptoms like weight gain,neck swelling correspond to thyroid symptoms as well.

Since I have not examined you,I would suggest you to see a doctor soon, and check your blood pressure and blood sugars,if there is an acute electrolyte imbalance,it needs to be corrected .

I hope I answered your query , I would be available for follow ups as well.