How does meningitis spread?

Hi, I just recently was advised that a friend has been diagnosed with Meningitis. What I need to know is how this is spread, as there are a whole bunch of people that have been around him. Also, I suffer from Chronic Bronchitis, of which because of this strange weather we are having here in South XXXXXXX has set my allergies on a rampage, and I would like to know if I am more likely to get it for this reason. Thanks
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Prasad 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Aerosol droplet spread... Detailed Answer: Hi, Well most cases of meningitis causing infection spread via aerosol droplets - as a person coughs and sneezes. That being said, individuals who are not immunocompromised have enough defense system to fight the invading infections. Therefore though meningitis can be communicable, not all are affected. Couple of more facts to reassure you: 1. We have vaccinations for a few meningitis causing communicable infections including pneumonia and influenza. You can contact your healthcare provider for vaccinations against meningitis causing infections. 2. Before meningitis sets in, you will have prodromol symptoms including fever, malaise and upper respiratory complaints. When treated early meningitis can be prevented. So do not be concerned about Meningitis. Medical science has preventive tools now to avoid meningitis even in the presence of chronic bronchitis. However at this instance, I would like you to follow: 1. To use sanitizers before and after contact with the patient 2. Avoid too close contact. 3. Wear face masks if needed Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards