How does egg fertilization happen during an infertility treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi Doctor, I have been undergoing fetility treatment from past 3 months. This month Doctor gave me Humog injections and I have 4 matured eggs(2 with 20 mm size and 2 with 16mm size). After that I had decapeptyl injection day before yesterday for ovulation and today I went for scanning(for confirming ovulation). Doctor told that all 4 eggs are released. Doctor told me that either all the 4 eggs gets fertilized or none of them may get fertilized. Is it true? Are there any chances that only one egg may get fertilized and other 3 may not be fertilized? If only one or 2 eggs get fertilized, what happens to the other eggs? Can you please clarify my doubts?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need clarification Detailed Answer: Hello Before I answer your questions, please clarify few things - Are you going in for IVF - in vitro fertilization ? - Are your eggs going to be retrieved and then fertilized outside your body ? Or are you going in for IUI - intra uterine insemination, where your husband's semen will be injected inside the uterus? Or are you just going to remain sexually active and try naturally ? The answer to these questions will let me guide you more precisely. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: How does egg fertilization happen during an infertility treatment? 22 minutes later
Yes, we are trying naturally by remaining sexually active. The medicines are just to help to increase the egg size and ovulating. Doctor confirmed ovulation today morning and asked to have intercourse for the coming 3 days. Im not undergoing IVF or IUI.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello In that case, it is not at all true that either all 4 will get fertilized or none. 4 eggs might have been released due to the medications given to induce ovulation, however the egg quality is not uniform. Either 1, 2 , 3 or all 4 may get fertilized, there is no way to predict. Only rarely will all 4 get fertilized and implant. Even if more than one get fertilized, implantation of more than 1 eggs is rare, so dont worry. If an egg does not get fertilized, it is naturally absorbed by the body and destroyed , it will not produce any side effects. So remain stress free and sexually active. All the best.

Follow-up: How does egg fertilization happen during an infertility treatment? 36 minutes later
During my before last cycle..Only one egg was matured till 23mm and was released.But I di dnot get pregnant. Now that there are 4 egs, are there more chances of getting pregnant? Can you please confirm?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, with 4 eggs there is more chance of success. However, pregnancy depends on a lot of factors. Your husband's semen analysis, whether your fallopian tubes are open or closed, status of the endometrium ( uterine lining ) etc.

Follow-up: How does egg fertilization happen during an infertility treatment? 2 days later
Hi Doctor, My husband's semen analysis is normal. I underwent hsg and there's no blockage in the tubes and also my endometrium lining is normal. Today is 3 days past my ovulation. Im having mild pain in my abdomen like how we get during periods.Does this mean that Im about to get my periods? My due date for periods is 18th February and Im taking susten 20mg twice a day now to hold the pregnancy if at all Im conceived.

Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello As the 3 factors have been ruled out, chances of pregnancy are definitely there. 3 days past ovulation is too early to comment on whether you are pregnant or if a period is approaching. I think the mild pain is peri ovulatory pain. This is more likely since 4 follicles had ruptured, so there would be more than normal amount of fluid in the pelvis. Do not worry about the pain, it will pass. COntinue taking the medications as prescribed, and take a pregnancy test if and when you miss your expected date of the next period. All the best to you.

Follow-up: How does egg fertilization happen during an infertility treatment? 3 minutes later
Thanks for the clarification Doctor. During my first month of fertility treatment, only one egg got released and 4 days past ovulation I used to experience severe pain in my abdomen. It used to stay for 5 or 10 mins and subside. Again it used to occur and subside and finally I got my periods after 15days. So Im worried since this month also Im experiencing pains.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi again. Do not worry. The pain can indicate anything, or nothing at all. Why worry about it ? Only positive thinking matters, as stress and negativity will impact the results. Just try and relax, the pain alone does NOT mean that you would have your periods. Take care.