How does carafate drug cure ulcers?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hi, how does Carafate cure ulcers?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It forms a protective barrier over the ulcer.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Carafate is a drug used mainly for the treatment of active duodenal ulcers. It is also used for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease and stress ulcers.
It works by forming a protective barrier over the stomach ulcer which protects it from irritants such as gastric acid or bile. This allows the ulcer to heal and reduces the pain.
When used for duodenal ulcers, treatment may last 8 weeks. Serious side-effects are very rare. Constipation occurs in about 3% of patients.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,