How does aspirin work to treat acute myocardial infarction?

How has the process of using 'Aspirin on Arrival' for patients with AMI changed over the past decades? Are there flowcharts for the procedures used to treat AMI?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
You have asked a legitimate question. Aspirin on arrival in patients with evolving heart attack (myocardial infarction) is implemented with more vigor now (in some countries patients are advised to take aspirin as soon as possible while they are being transported to the hospital). In fact, in some other countries the emergency medical technicians who accompany the patient from home to hospital are authorized to administer aspirin. There is a recent study which concluded and I quote '.... that he most common reason that paramedics did not administer aspirin was the paramedic's belief that the chest pain was not of a cardiac nature. Another common reason for not giving aspirin was the inability of EMT-Basic providers to administer aspirin....". We do have flow Charts and these are followed in the hospital (depending on resources an individual hospital has). I hope that answers your question. If you have any further query, I will be happy to answer that. Good Luck.
Best Wishes.

(Dr Anil Grover)