How does Clomid help in getting pregnant?

Mar 2013
Hi Doctor, i have been suggested to take clomid from the 3rd day of my periods which was on 29/01/2014.i took clomid for 5 days and now doctor had asked me to do a follicular study on 06/02/2014 which is the 11th day of my periods. What will be the likely results and how can i increase the chances of pregnancy? I got married 1 and half years ago and clomid was suggested after taking 5 pills to induce period. Could you please explain? Many Thanks XXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: 50 % of women ovulate in response to clomiphene Detailed Answer: Hello Clomid contains clomiphene citrate, which is an agent to induce ovulation. It is generally given in women with problems in ovulation, to artificially induce ovulation. The chances of success depends on the problem you had. Generally, it is prescribed to women with PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome. In PCOS, due to hormonal imbalance, ovulation is affected, so clomiphene helps to induce the ovulation. More than 50 % of women ovulate in response to clomiphene and 20 % succeed in achieving a pregnancy. Only follicular monitoring ( by serial ultrasound ) will tell you if the egg follicle is growing properly on track. Once the follicle size reaches above 18 mm, injections are given to trigger ovulation. Once ovulation is confirmed, you should remain sexually active for a week, to increase chances of pregnancy. If 3 - 6 cycles of clomiphene stimulation fail, then you should go for laparoscopy to check if fallopian tubes are open, or IVF ( in vitro fertilization ). Take daily folic acid supplements, maintain an ideal BMI and think positive. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.