How does CBT therapy help with a nervous or mental breakdown?

how does cbt therapy help with a nervous/mental breakdown? It took me out 4 times in my life and my parents helped. I faced into it,but there were effects and I get scared of getting caught up in it which I didn't no would happen after I faced into it .
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through an emotional breakdown. CBT is definitely a good option to consider to help you come out of this phase. CBT stands for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It is a specific method of psychological therapy which is effective in the management of a wide variety psychological problems, like depression, anxiety, negative thinking, maladaptive behaviours, etc.

As the name suggests, CBT has two components - one is the "cognitive" part (which addresses your negative thoughts and feelings) and the "behavioural" part (which aims to bring about positive changes in your behaviour).

In your situation, CBT is likely to help in two ways - one is helping you overcome the curent situation; second is to teach you how to control your thoughts and emotions, as well as to help you acquire better coping skills, so that you will be able to prevent a similar situation from happening in the future. Moreover, it would also give you the confidence that you are capable of handling your problems on your own, rather than becoming dependent on others (which, like you have mentioned, may have repurcussions later).

So, I would recommend that you see a qualified psychologist or a psychiatrist, who does CBT, and go for regular therapy sessions. Don't worry, with dedicated efforts form your side and the help of a good therapist, you will be able overcome your problems soon.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist