How do you treat polypoid muscosal disease in the left maxillary sinus posteriorly?

ENT Specialist
how do you treat moderate to marked polypoid muscosal disease in the left maxillary sinus posteriorly. in addition to mucoperiosteal thickening. There is anatomic narrowing of the sphenoethmoidal recesses biterally. There is pneumatization of the middle turbinates.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since your age is 14, it is best to manage your sinus disease medically. Any surgery should be delayed for a year or two till the facial growth is complete.

2. Medical line of treatment for polypoidal mucosal disease and mucoperiosteal thickening will also include anti allergics, decongestants, mucolytics, steroid nasal sprays and regular steam inhalation. This should be taken under medical supervision.

3. Surgical treatment may not be required for limited disease at all. Pneumatization of the middle turbinates (concha bullosa) is fairy common and needs treatment only if there is nasal obstruction or there are unexplained 'ethmoidal' headaches. Do yu have any post nasal drip or any of the above symptoms? Is your sinusitis an incidental finding?

4. If you need an opinion on any limited surgical options, you may share the CT Scan images here.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.