How do i know what type of diabetes i have?

Aug 2012

Dear Doctor
i have Diebetics. kindly clarify my queries.
1) how do i know if i know if i have type I or type II diebetics?
2) My mom passed away at the age of 46( abt 14 yrs back) -we dont know whether she has diebetics that time as we never tested that for her.
3) my Dad was detected with Diebetics 3 years back when he was 59 yrs old - currently for the past one year his suger levels are normal without medicines only with diet and excerises.
4) both sides - grandparents never had diebetics.

i am really worried about my medical condition - is this coz i am over weight i am diebetic? if i reduce my weight will my sugur levels be normal? Please help.
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.
1. To answer whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, there are clinical as well as biochemical ways to determine.
For type 1 diabetes clinical parameters are:

- Significant weight loss at the time of diagnosis of diabetes (by about 10 kg or more)
- Typical triad of symptoms like feeling very hungry, feeling very thirsty, urinating a lot
- All these symptoms started all of a sudden over one month or so
- You need only insulin to control your sugars
Biochemical Parameters are:
- Initial fasting sugar reading more than 200 and random reading more than 300
- Your serum C- peptide level done after settling down you sugars is less than 1
- Your HbA1c level at diagnosis was not high enough to match the initial high sugars

For type 2 diabetes:
- You are overweight or obese, do not have obvious sugar symptoms but feel lethargic
- You also have something called 'polycystic ovaries'
- You have had history of gestational diabetes
- Eventhough reading is more than 200 mg/dl, you have been prescribed tablets and they are able to bring down sugar successfully since the diagnosis.

If it is still not clear to you, one confirmatory test will help you know this. It is called ''Glucagon stimulated C-peptide level''. Initially you have to take medications, even insulin, to control the high sugars to near normal and then only you can do this test. After you find that your fasting is less than 140 and post-meal is less than 170, you will get this test done in any NABL certified laboratory. If you are in Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore or Chennai then Metropolis lab is best for this test.
Step 1- They will take your one blood sample any time of the day (even non-fasting sample is fine)
Step 2- they will give you Inj Glucagon 1 mg at '0' minute Intravascularly
Step 3- they will take next blood samples at 6 minutes and 12 minutes and then you are done.
The results will guide you for sure.

2. I cannot comment on why your mother could have passed away at such an early age without any other clinical details.

3. From what you are describing here, I feel yours is type 2 diabetes because you are overweight and you also have family history of type 2 diabetes (your father could control sugars with diet and exercise).

4. These days grandparents having no diabetes but our generation has diabetes is a very common senario because our weight, lifestyle, eating processed foods full of additives and preservatives is all what is causing our generation to have type 2 diabetes at very young age.

So if you lose weight you will certainly be normal. People who are able to lose initial 10 kg to 15 kg have been able to go off sugar medications IN CASE OF TYPE 2 DIABETES. So instead of worrying, please take steps forward to weight loss and contact me for step by step weight loss. You will see a big difference not only in terms of sugars but also your energy level and body stamina will improve.
Please make sure you mention to your doctor about your allergy to Sulpha drugs as one of the most widely used medication for diabetes is from sulpha family. Make sure your doctor is fully aware of your allergy for this reason.
Let me know other details like whether you also have polycystic ovaries, if you are married and have delivered baby, what was your baby's birth weight, Did you have gestational diabetes during pregnancy, Did you also get other tests like TSH, Serum Lipid Profile, Serum creatinine, HbA1c, urine microalbumin done? If not please get them done before you ask your follow up question as it is compulsory for one with diabetes to test these things at diagnosis itself.
I hope this helps you. Shall wait for your reply.
Follow-up: How do i know what type of diabetes i have? 21 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
I will be completing 29 yrs of age next month - i delivered a baby boy in 2010 January - i sugar was normal till 6 months during pregnancy however since end of 6th month my sugur was abnormal -hence i was using insulin till delivery - i delivered in C-section- baby's weight during delivery was 3.2 kg- he is 2 yrs and 10 months old- he is healthy - active and his weight is 13 kg now - he is studying pre-kg- after his birth for continous 5 days they did sugar test for my son and he was fine- but till now we havenot done any blood test for him- Do you suggest any test for him?
My TSH is normal - HBA1c is 7 - i have undergone a scan 1 week back and diognised with PCOS i am yet to XXXXXXX my doctor - i live in Bangalore - i have acne problem and severe danfruff for the past 10 years-- and was gradually increasing weight year by year - i was not aware of PCOS untill last month. from last year i started having irregular periods - sometime flow will be very huge and continous even for continous 30-40 days - thats where my doctor asked me to get the scan done.
Please advise if there is any solution for my problem.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 27 minutes later

It's sure your diabetes is type 2 form of diabetes. It is not necessary for your son to undergo sugar test unnecessarily. But it is studied in many studies that babies born to mothers with diabetes during pregnancy tend to put on weight and tend to develop diabetes early in life compared to their peers. Hence you must keep watch on your son's eating habits and along with your dietary modifications you make sure your child is also eating very normal food and not the junk food. He should also be physically as active as possible. Any sign of lethargy or any unexplanable tiredness will warn his pediatrician to check his sugar, but nothing to be done at this stage.

If you think your weight is increasing without reason and not due to high calorie intake then why don't you see me once? We shall review your dietary and physical exercise habits and also see if there are other hormonal reasons for your obesity and PCOS.
I hope you are on right treatment for PCOS and the excess bleeding happening to avoid further weight gain and anemia due to excess blood loss. There is solution for your problem of diabetes with strict diet and exercise. You have not mentioned if you have been started on oral medications for the sugar or not.
There is solution for your excess bleeding and PCOS but one must rule out other hormonal reasons for your obesity and then treat you.
I hope you got your answer. Any further query, please contact me. Take care.