How do antihypertensives interfere with anesthesia?

How do antihypertensives interfere with anesthesia? How do psychotropic agents affect anesthesia? How do oral contraceptives affect anesthesia? How do anticoagulants affect anesthesia?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seek an anesthesiologist for clinical correlation Detailed Answer: Good day XXXX Thank you for asking. I would like to help you with your concerns for anaesthesia interactions with the different classes of drugs you mentioned. 1- The antihypertensives are necessary interval to keep the anaesthesia safe and surgeries can get postponed if the hypertension is not controlled. SO antihypertensives does not interfere, Hypertension does. 2- The psychotropic agents when taken generally exert profound effects on central and peripheral neurotransmitter and ionic mechanisms. Hence, prior intake of these drugs is an important consideration in the management of the patient about to undergo anaesthesia and surgery. 3-OCPs and Anaesthesia Oral contraceptives does not affect anaesthesia directly but the immobility resulting from surgery can increase the odds for clots and emboli so early ambulation is the answer. 4- Now the anticoagulants need a monitoring of bleeding profile and PT APTT and INR as deranged bleeding profile increase the bleeding tendencies during surgeries. Rest anaesthesia has different classes from simple local to complex generalised propofol with different grades of it and short term anesthesias like ketamines etc. In nut shell scenario changes with the type of anaesthesia used and clinical correlation is required under observation and opinion of an expert anaesthesiologist for better management. Hope it helps. Take good care of your self and don't forget to close the discussion please. Regards
Follow-up: How do antihypertensives interfere with anesthesia? 46 minutes later
Thank you. I teach in a physical therapy program and your answers will help me address the students questions and discussion in our upcoming class. Have a good evening.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are welcome Detailed Answer: Thank you for being a good listener. I would love to have a touch in case you need some thing from me. You can mail me at YYYY@YYYY or cell number +0000 Take care