How do I treat the coughing spasm remaining after an episode of acute bronchitis?

Dr., I am a generally healthy 54 year old while male, trying to lose 30-40 lbs. I recently relocated from a normal humidity climate to a very dry climate just outside of Las Vegas. About 2 months ago I contracted a nasty bout of acute bronchitis (1st time). I was prescribed Z-pak (which didn't really help that much), Albuterol, Robitussin DM, Zyrtec, and Mucinex. For the first month, I was pretty tired much of the time, at times lightheaded and short of breath, and running a low grade fever that would come and go. This past month, I am feeling much better, but still have the cough and still feel short of breath. I was advised to start walking every day and/or use my treadmill to build back up my lung capacity. But there are still days/times that I avoid going out because I fear that I'll have a coughing spasm. And I feel that I can't do some of the more physical things I used to be able to do. Is there anything else you can recommend I do to shake this off and get my bronchi back to normal? Or does this just take time to run its course? Thank you, Jim
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 2 hours later

I wish to know your pathological (complete blood count, total eosinophilic count) and radiological tests (x-ray chest).
But my first impression is you possibly have ALLERGIC BRONCHITIS.
The best things are to relocate back to your old climate and second is to lose weight.
You may need to take combination of Monteleukast and Levocetrizine like medicines once a day after dinner for three months.
Antibiotics would not help much if allergy is your basic problem. Apart from Treadmill, you may also use specific lung strengthening exercises like filling balloons. There is also a device available at Drug Stores which help in strengthening your lungs.

Waiting for your follow-up with your pathological (complete blood count, total eosinophilic count) and radiological tests (x-ray chest).