How do I treat eye discharge and excessive tearing in a four week old baby?

hi I have a baby girl.she is 4 weeks.she has eye problem.that eye gum coming a lot from her eyes.and lots of tears coming can I solve this problem???please answer me
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query,

First thing is soft massage upside from tip towards the canthus on both sides after every breast feed. Smaller nasolacrimal ducts in the baby cannot clear the formed tears faster.

Sometimes a tiny bit of bacteria can get into the eye of the child and cause what we refer to as a "conjunctivitis". This is a mild infection that is commonly seen and usually very easily treated. A physician can provide you with an antibiotic ointment to dab gently onto her eyes for a few days and the drainage will usually clear up within a week.

One other potential cause of excessive tear production or mucous coming from the eyes would be allergies. If you have animals such as cats that could possibly contribute to this. In the meantime you could use a saline eye drop to flush her eyes a bit until you are able to have her see the pediatrician. These are available over the counter in such brands as Tears or Tears II.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. I am available for your followups if needed.

Dr. Robert Galamaga