How do I stop the sensation of pins and needles on my face?

hello. i had surgery 9 days ago. right hemicolectomy to remove appendiceal mucocele. 2 days after, i started feeling pins and needles sensation on my head and face. i feel bad circulation throughout body. but what's really bothering me is the pins and needles in my face and head. is there anything i can do to make this go away.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Manish Sinha 10 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Pins and needles on the face and scalp are called parasthesias. They are very non specific complaints to answer and allay the symptoms. It may be or may not be related to surgery. Other things are medicines that you take can have such experiences.

Do you have small blisters over your face or around eyes? In that case, pain might be due to Herpetic neuralgia. If pain is sharp current like going from temple to cheek, it may be Trigeminal neuralgia. In either case, you need to take medicines under a neurologist/physician's supervision.

You should consult your primary physician / Neurologist for pain relief.
Follow-up: How do I stop the sensation of pins and needles on my face? 10 hours later
i don't have blisters on face or eyes. just the pins and needles on face and scalp. what could have triggered this? i've never felt this before. what can i do to make it go away?
Follow-up: How do I stop the sensation of pins and needles on my face? 34 minutes later
i should also let u know that i have been under an extreme amount of stress and anxiety since i found out i needed surgery. Well, after surgery i still feel anxious because of all these symptoms. sometimes i feel like i'm gonna pass out. I feel very nervous. could these pins and needles (like ants crawling under skin) on my forehead, face and scalp be just anxiety? if so, what can i take for it? I've caught myself sleeping with my mouth open as well, i never slept with it open. when i'd wake up, it would always be closed. but ever since this, i'm sleeping with it open. Don't know if that is related.
Answered by Dr. Manish Sinha 12 hours later

You should get your current blood pressure and hemoglobin checked. If everything comes normal, you can wait for few days (7-10 days) to let your symptoms decrease. You sound to be stressed. The way you sleep can be a normal variant and not necessarily relate to your symptoms. I suggest relaxation techniques like Muscle relaxing, breathing exercises and Yoga, all have proven good for many.

It seems your symptoms are more related to anxiety. If problem persists, consult a physician for prescription of anxiolytics.

Hope this helps.