How do I relieve swelling and pain in my hand after injury?

Question about hand swollen after injury
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 23 hours later

Thanks for posting a detailed query.

Any injury will present with swelling, pain and redness.This is an inflammatory reaction which is meant to subside after a week or two .Analgesics like IBUPROFEN will most often do the job.

In your case, it seems that the injury is quite significant as there is difficulty in range of movements as well as the pain is not coming down with NSAID group of analgesics.The hand is a very sensitive area and vulnerable for fractures, lacerations and soft tissue injuries and infections.

Without a clinical examination, it would be very difficult to judge the severity of the injury. An examination by a primary physician with an x XXXXXXX is warranted. THis helps to rule out any major issues.

Meanwhile continue the ice pack wraps thrice a day for 5-10 minutes each time. Ice may help in reducing the pain. Continue Ibuprofen.Restrict the range of motions of your hand.

If it is just a soft tissue injury, then it may take a week to heal , if there is a fracture, it will take time depending on the type of fracture, Regular follow ups may be needed.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.