How do I know how severe my calf injury is?

Hi! I am 5'9'' 190 pounds and have had no knee or calf problems in the past. I have been playing football and on Wednesday 7/6 and felt like I pulled a muscle in the back of my knee. Today Saturday 7/9, the first practice since then, on my first cut I heard a pop in the top of the inside of my calf. Right below my knee. I have pain in the back of my knee and side and can walk with a bit of a limp. I wouldn't even dream of running in this state though. From what I read it sounds like a calf strain? However there is minimal swelling and no bruising. How do I tell the severity? I will be seeing my physician on monday.

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 33 minutes later

Your history suggests traumatic injury while playing football.

It would be a ligament sprain or ligament tear due to fast kick of ball.

The injury can be to the tendons of hamstring muscles.

It manifests with pain and swelling behind the knee joint as occured in you.

I suggest you to give good rest to the knee by relaxing in a comfortable position.

You can apply cold compresses locally over the swelling which gives pain relief.

And never massage the area, which would aggravate your symptoms.

You can take simple analgesics for pain relief.

Also do not bear your weight on your affected limb.

I feel the injury is a minor problem. Continue to watch the progress.

If after a day or two, You still experience difficulty in walking then, You may require an X-ray of the knee joint and evaluation by an Orthopaedician.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.