How do I interpret my uterus report inspite of having constant abdominal cramping, pressure and lower back pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
How do I interpret my report stating: uterus measures 9.4 x 5.7 x 3.7 cm with a heterogeneous echo texture pattern. In uterine fundus, there is 2.1 x 1.9 x 2.3 cm ovoid heterogeneous echogenic solid mass consistent with an intramural fibroid. Endometrial stripe is thickened measured 11.6 mm in thickness. There are nabothian cysts in the cervix. Right ovary has a 1.7 x 1.5 x 1.3 cm simple cyst and the left ovary is not visualized. I am a 50 year old in post-menopause. I have constant abdominal cramping, pressure and lower back pain.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. The uterus contains a small around 2 x 2 cm ( a small gooseberry sized ) fibroid, which is a benign growth of the uterine muscular wall. There is no cause of concern with this size of a fibroid. The nabothian cysts are normal age related changes in the cervix. The simple cyst in the ovary too can be observed for 2 - 3 months, most simple cysts dissolve on their own. As you are symptomatic, what is of concern is the endometrial thickness, this should be 5mm or less in post menopausal women. Please go for an endometrial biopsy to rule out any malignant conditions. Do not panic however, as more than 90 % of endometrial hyperplasias ( thickening of the lining of the uterus ) are harmless, and not associated with cancer. A biopsy however will reassure you, and relieve the cramping too. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further. Also have a Pap smear of the cervix, and a thorough internal evaluation - per speculum and per vaginu. Take care.

Follow-up: How do I interpret my uterus report inspite of having constant abdominal cramping, pressure and lower back pain? 23 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. My original pap smear came back and a re-test is needed. Dr. did not say why, I will follow up on that. What would a thorough internal evaluation consist of? All of my findings are new since prior study and the comparison date is 11/2012

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: I need to know the report of the earlier smear to tell you why a re test was ordered. An internal evaluation would entail a per vaginum and per speculum examination.