How do I increase HDL level through diet or food?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hi I have HDL of 38 MG/DL and LDL of 130 MG/DL how do I increase my HDL lebel . I have SGPT of 120 U/L for which i had taken medicine from a Gastro surgeon.
Need to know how i can increase ny HDL through diet or food?
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 2 hours later
Hi Dear,

Considering your overall profile, the HDL levels are still within acceptable norms. Coming to HDL, yes by and large most of Southeast Asians genetically have low HDL.

Regular aerobic exercise (any exercise, such as walking, jogging or bike riding that raises your heart rate for 20 to 30 minutes at a time) may be the most effective way to increase HDL levels. Recent evidence suggests that the duration of exercise, rather than the intensity, is the more important factor in raising HDL cholesterol. But any aerobic exercise helps.

Stop smoking. Giving up tobacco will result in an increase in HDL levels.

Trans fatty acids are currently present in many of your favourite prepared foods -- anything in which the nutrition label reads "partially hydrogenated vegetable oils" -- so eliminating them from the diet is not a trivial task. But trans fatty acids not only increase LDL cholesterol levels, they also reduce HDL cholesterol levels. Removing them from your diet will almost certainly result in a measurable increase in HDL levels.

One or two drinks per day can significantly increase HDL levels. More than one or two drinks per day, one hastens to add, can lead to substantial health problems including heart failure -- and there are individuals who will develop such problems even when limiting their alcohol intake to one or two drinks per day.

Add soluble fibre to your diet. Soluble fibres are found in oats, fruits, vegetables, and legumes, and result in both a reduction in LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol. For best results, at least two servings a day should be used.

Other dietary means to increasing HDL: Cranberry juice has been shown to increase HDL levels. Fish and other foods containing omega-3 fatty acids can also increase HDL levels. In postmenopausal women (but not, apparently, in men or pre-menopausal women) calcium supplementation can increase HDL levels.

Hope this helps you. Do write back for follow up queries, if any.