Ask a Urologist   »  

How do I get rid of the brown patches of ring shape on my penis ?

Question
My penis has brown patches on skin, sort of forms a ring shape from the front, and brown skin underneath - makes my penis look dirty, was just wondering is it dried sperm on my penis, and if it is, how do you get rid of it or, or is it something else like a birth XXXXXXX Your help would be great thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Dried semen will not cause brown spots on the penis. Based on your symptoms, four possibilities are coming to my mind. These include:

1)     Penile melanotic macules: they are small, sharply circumscribed, pigmented macules surrounded by normal-appearing skin.

2)     Penile melanosis: Melanosis is the benign pigmentation of the mucosal surface of the penis. The area is flat, and stable. Biopsy, if performed, will show clusters of melanocytes with a benign appearance.

3)     Bowenoid papulosis: It presents as single small, red, brown or flesh-coloured spots on the penis which may be flat and may initially be symptomless but then turn painful. The diagnosis is usually made by skin biopsy.

4)     Last possibility is of fixed drug eruption: It is a type of allergic reaction to a medicine

Treatment modalities for all are different. Please send me a photo at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at your photo and it will help me in understanding your condition better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: How do I get rid of the brown patches of ring shape on my penis ? 6 hours later
I have sent you an email with pictures for my condition. Please let me know what you think

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me. These brown spots look like harmless hyperpigmentation of the skin. It is not dried semen. Hyperpigmentation is darkening that occurs when an excess of melanin, the brown pigment that produces normal skin color, forms deposits in the skin.

If the brown spots are causing only cosmetic symptoms then i would like to suggest you to avoid using anything on it. Although there are many treatment options varying from antibiotics, alpha- or beta-hydroxy acids,tretinoin,isotretinoin, dermabrasion to laser treatment; but on the delicate skin of penis, it is not advisable to use any without a dermatologist's expert guidance.

Keep an eye on the brown spots. If you notice changes in the marks' color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful.

Regards.