How do I calm down without my xanax?

how do I calm down without my xanax
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 35 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Xanax is used for anxiety and sleep difficulty. Anxiety is associated with lack of calm and restlessness in life. Sleep difficulty also lead to anxiety.

Lack of calmness can occur in below conditions, in following hierarchy:
•     Stress in life: Stress management and time management will help under psychologist supervision.
•     Anxiety disorder: need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist.
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use (if present): quitting substance use will help
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done
•     Sleep disorder: follow principles of sleep hygiene in routine life
•     Chronic medical illness

So, treatment is depend on more on the cause of problem and above steps will help you to regain your calm life.

Xanax contain alprazolam. Although it decreases anxiety and cause calmness, but on long term use it lead to dependance on it, which further increases anxiety. So, it is not solution for your problem.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.