How do I bring down my bad cholesterol level and increase my good cholesterol levels?

How do I bring down my bad cholestrol level and increase my good cholestrol levels
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 45 minutes later
Thanks for posting query.
The interventions that are required to decrease your levels of bad cholesterol would depend on your cholesterol levels and the presence of other problems like heart disease, diabetes and other risk factors. However, in general, the approach is as follows:
1.     Dietary interventions: The following dietary interventions would help:
a.     Slash down on red meat, egg yolk, whole milk cheese, butter, oil, whole milk, refined foods like white rice, sugar, white bread and potatoes. Instead, choose leaner cuts of meat, low-fat dairy and monounsaturated fats — found in olive, peanut and canola oils — for a healthier option.
b.     Totally cut down on trans fats such as those in fried foods and many commercial baked products, such as cookies, crackers and snack cakes.
c.     Increase your fiber intake
d.     Prefer whole grains instead of processed ones. These interventions will help reduce the bad cholesterol.
e.     Eat food XXXXXXX in omega-3 fatty acids (which contain docosahexaenoic acid ) such as oily fish (salmon, cod), flax, rice XXXXXXX soya, walnuts and almonds.
2.     Exercise: Indulge in moderate aerobic exercise for 50 minutes a day for atleast 5 days a week. This will help increase the good cholesterol and reduce the bad cholesterol.
3.     Drug therapy with medication known as statins is generally started in the presence of other risk factors or when the patient’s cholesterol levels are above a certain limit.

I shall be able to help you better if you can assist me with answers to the following questions:
a.     What are your cholesterol levels? In particular, the LDL (Low density lipoprotein or bad cholesterol levels), the HDL (high density lipoprotein or good cholesterol levels), TG(triglyceride) and total cholesterol levels?
b.     Do you have any symptoms like chest pain, breathlessness, palpitations (a feeling of an increased heart rate)
c.     Do you smoke?
d.     Do you have a family history of heart disease?
e.     Has your blood pressure been taken? If yes, can you tell me the reading?

I hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for follow up queries.