How can wound on scalp after prior ringworm infection be treated?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I had ringworm on the back of my scalp. The infection is long gone, but I am now left with a wound to this day that cannot heal due to loads of hair growing sideways underneath a few layers of skin rather than coming up and out. Doctors have said "leave it alone, it will fix itself"... However it never does. What are my options?
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. Ringworm infection of the scalp is tough to treat and needs oral antifungal treatment. Medications most commonly prescribed include griseofulvin (Grifulvin V, Gris-Peg) and terbinafine (Lamisil) and the treatment course may take about 6 weeks. Along side hair wash with a medicated shampoo, such as one that contains ketoconazole or selenium sulfide may slow or stop the spread of infection, but does not get rid of ringworm on its own. Please follow up regularly with your dermatologist. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: How can wound on scalp after prior ringworm infection be treated? 18 minutes later
The infection has been gone for a year. My question pertains to the non healing wound that it left behind.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Please attach picture of healing wound Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing back with an update. The delayed healing of wound must be investigated in detail. I would appreciate if you can attach a picture of your wound with your query. It is important to treat any bacterial skin condition that might have started in the healing wound area. I hope you have got treated by a dermatologist in the past and are regularly following up with them. If there is any residual fungal infection or low intensity bacterial infection, skin scrapings must be tested for infection and treated with antibiotics and anti fungals. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek