How can uterine fibroids be treated without surgery?

Hi my mom was 50 yrs old. She was suffering from urination,leg pain,giddiness.We took a scan and found enlarged uterus with fibroids. Doctor told to remove uterus. But my mom was very much scared of doing operation.Pls tell me whether any other methods are possible to shrink fobroid and uterus without doing sugery.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 52 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Uterine fibroids are tumour of the muscle lining of uterus but are benign(non cancerous) in nature. They can press the bladder and thus cause urination problems.

Though the treatment option depends on the size, number of fibroids and age of patient. They include

1. Drug treatment is usually give in woman who wish to be pregnant in future - In that case hormonal therapy is given to shrink them. And they usually grow back as it is stopped.
2. If the patient has acheived menopause then the option is to remove them by surgery.

Since she is having problems as leg pain, urination issues, treatment is appropriately needed. Surgery is the best option in this context as hormonal therapy can have other side effects.

Kindly talk to her and explain that it is least complicated surgical procedure. She would recover in a week or so and will also be relieved of the distressing symptoms she is currently experiencing.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up query.

Follow-up: How can uterine fibroids be treated without surgery? 3 hours later
Hello Mam
Mam i understand What u R Saying.If we do that surgery any difficulties she has to face after that.Because so many r saying it is difficult after doing that surgery.So she was very much bother about that.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up

It is generally presmued that the fibroids shrink after menopause as the hormones in the body are decreased.But as your mother is facing the symptoms now it cannot be expected that fibroids will shrink by themselves and also she is having other associated symptoms.
Fibroid surgery is usually not a complicated surgery if performed by a skilled Gynaecologist and the recovery is fast.There are Laser surgeries also available these days.You can consider taking an opinion from another Gynaecologist who can see the exact size,location and number of fibroids.

Wishing her Good Health!