How can tightness and pain in the chest be treated?

I'm 32, 5'8", 10&1/2 stone, no major health problems in the past. Recently I've been having occasional mild pain in my chest, sometimes in the center around my heart, sometimes on the left or right. Earlier today i felt the pain around my heart which was then followed by a light headedness and a hot flash isolated in my left arm. Afterwards I felt light headed and exhausted. My left arm feels quite numb now and my chest a bit tight.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later
Hi ,

The pain in and around the heart region may be because of the following conditions:

1. Angina pectoris - A heart condition can present with severe chest tightness/stabbing kind of pain/ a radiating pain from the left side of the chest to left arm(inner aspect). Pain is associated with sweating, dizziness, nausea or vomiting.

2.GERD- Gastroesophageal reflux disorder which presents with pain in the upper abdomen and the surrounding regions of the heart.

3.Musculoskeletal pains.

Since the description is close to features of Angina and its not to be delayed. I suggest you to see the doctor immediately and ECG should be done to rule out the angina.

Hope this helps you.