How can the size of labia minora be reduced?

Hello, I am female 35. I have concern about my labia minora size. The usual size of labia minora, according to my findings, seems to be 1-3cm. Anything larger is not so common. Mine is about 3cm at a normal stage (which I already consider too much), but now I am pregnant (5 months) and I have noticed the labia m.has slightly enlarged, as if swolen, but it doesn't heart.Just looks even bigger, which makes me feel pretty bad about it. I was not happy about its size before, but my partner never said anything, so I did not want to go on about it. But I am now getting so worried what is likely to happen after the birth if the size is enlarging already now at the pregnancy stage? Is it going to strech even more and stay like that, maybe 5cm? That would surely cause me many issues, not only as in physical discomfort but psychologically aesthetically too.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 minutes later
Hello and thank you for you query.

I completely understand your concern in respect to the labia minora size. Among women there can be a tremendous variability in size and sometimes shape of this part of the anatomy.

Some women have very prominent labia which can at times cause difficulty with inflammation and or infections. These women may be referred to a plastic surgeon who might recontour the labia in a minor surgical procedure.

In your case we can expect the labia to get slightly larger during the pregnancy. This may or may not persist after delivery. Time will tell and there is no real way to necessarily prevent a change in size right now.

I have to say that if this is a real source of personal stress that I would recommend a brief consult with a plastic surgeon as this is a common issue they address in practice. As you mention, the psychological and aesthetic concern are significant enough to warrant an investment of your time in learning what options you might have.

Thanks again for submitting your query. I hope you have found this response to be timely and adequate. Should you have additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: How can the size of labia minora be reduced? 28 hours later
Dear Doctor XXXXXXX

thank you for your prompt answer. I kind of suspected that it will be a referral to the plastic surgery. I was kind of hoping to hear that the size of labia minora might go back to normal after the birth, but probably that would be a bit naive, as the genital part is under so much pressure during the delivery. Am I right? It's not a spring after all. What is the usual result after the birth for most women from your, or your colleagues' practice? I cannot tell, as for me this is the first birth, so I have no experience with this. My mum never had this problem, she told me.

I have, of course, read numerous articles about the plastic surgery/reduction of the labia minora and there seems to be a lot people against it as well as reports of women who were happy with their decision. My husband doesn't seem to be for it, as he argues that in that part of female genital are many sensitive points that are connected with sexual sensation and feelings and that those get destroyed by such a treatment. Thus, a women becomes less sexually sensitive. Is that true??

I don't know anybody around me who'd have undergone such a treatment to tell me their experience, neither did such a topic pop up in the forums I have read on the Internet. At least not in the sense of how their sexual life resumed after that and whether they noticed any difference in their sensitivity.

Some of the reports were a little scary, as some women seemed to have difficulties with healing after the surgery. But then again, this was half and half. Others were quite happy with the results.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 hours later
Hello and thank you for the followup.

Honestly every woman is unique. Some women see some engorgement of the labia which regresses back after birth with no permanent effect.

More than 75% of the women I have seen as patients do not see any long term change in the labia with pregnancy and birth. I know this does not allay your concern completely but at least it may provide some perspective.

As far as sensitivity I feel that if it is truly just the protruding skin of the labia which is addressed by surgery then sexual sensation is not affected. The major sexual sensitivity is via the clitoris and this of course is not affected by surgery. Any small correction in size of the labia would not disturb the normal pleasure of sex.

I would be careful not to look at forums online as they can be sources of misinformation. I would seek out a local plastic surgeon for a consult. Typically they do this for free or for a small fee and they can assess your labia and give you an idea of what options are available.

I think you have nothing to lose by talking to a reputable surgeon. Information will give you the power and conviction you need to make an informed decision.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my answer has been helpful and informative. If there is anything else i can help you with I would be happy to discuss it with you.

Dr. Galamaga