How can the sensation of crawling worms be treated?

ENT Specialist
Hello, I have clear worm like things that run all over my body. I have noticed in the crease behind my knees, underarms they look more brownish. I also have been an iv drug users and they are when I inject cocaine it seems to attract hundreds of them come from everywhere. You can see them running thru my veins and my ankles swell. I constipated, have no energy, insomnia, pains in back near shoulder blades. It's not Delusional Parasitious. These worm like things are all over my house. They move thru my bed and are in my shoes and clothes. My brother has 2 cats and another brother has Hep C. Please help me. People think I am crazy or I hace "Cocaine Bugs. Also anal itching and yesterday I was cleaning bathroom and bleach splashed on my legs and you could see them they were white. Some long 5-6 inches and others very small.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

The sensation of crawling of worms in the limbs could be due to repeated intravenous drug abuse causing thrombosis of the blood vessels - blockage of the blood vessels causing restricted blood flow or “Ekbom’s syndrome”. The other symptoms such as constipation, lethargy, insomnia, etc. are all related to the cocaine abuse.

The symptoms you are having can be treatable only by perseverance, patience and proper understanding of the facts. Just forget about what others say about your problem, consult a good physician as it requires a thorough examination before making a correct diagnosis.

Medicines such as Resperidone are very helpful in managing this problem. Talk to your physician about your problems and tell him the true facts so that he can subject you to minimum investigations and give appropriate treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow-up: How can the sensation of crawling worms be treated? 38 minutes later
It is not Ekbom Syndrome. I have not imagined these worms/parasites. I had a bowel movement and the feces was moving around. So I poured bleach into the toilet and the worms turned white. Also you can see white eggs in the stool.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 44 minutes later

Welcome back

If you are very sure that it is not Ekbom’s syndrome, then the other strong possibility could be the thrombophlebitis of the veins. Regarding the worms in the stools, it would be better if a sample of the same could be collected and sent for examination to the lab to find out the type of worm infestation. Depending upon the type of worm infestation the further management can be planned.

Also, ‘Cutaneous Larva Migrans’, cannot be ruled out until it is thoroughly examined by a good physician. This is a condition caused by the larvae of various nematode parasites. These parasites are found in dog and cat feces and the superficial layer of the skin of humans.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar