How can the prolonged menstrunal flow caused with birthcontrol pill be stopped?

It was my first time to take a birth control pill. I took the first pill during the first day of my menstrual cycle, but my menstruation didn't stop and it's on my 13days of menstruation flow now. Is this normal? What should i do to stop my menstrual flow very soon?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
It is not normal to have bleeding for 13 days during your periods.
If you would not have taken the pills it would have been even more. Birth control pills itself are used for treatment of the excessive bleeding.Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Though diet and exercise can help to change the body, sometimes, acute hormone changes induced by them can cause irregular periods (called Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding).

The etiology of such disorder can be psychological stress, weight (obesity, anorexia, or a rapid change), exercise, endocrinopathy, neoplasm, drugs, or it may be otherwise idiopathic.
To decrease the bleeding you need to have progesterone pills along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid after consulting with your gynaecologist.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.