How can the premenstrunal pain and mood swings be controlled?

Hi I'm 6 days away from when my periods due.
I had sex around time of my ovulation and about 3 days after that I started getting cramps on the lower right side of my stomach that just haven't gone away yet. Sometimes it will be like really bad period pain and sometimes it's mild.
My Left boob (more the nipple area) is tender.
I am bloated and have put weight on my stomach and last night I found myself getting grumpy at everyone for the smallest things.
I have a 3 year old and I didn't experience any symptoms with her.
I also have Ovarian Cysts (little ones) that never bother me.
Is it in my head???
When's the soonest I can test?
Should I go to the doctors???
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 minutes later

Thanks for your query. Let me take a bit of time here to inform you and provide you with some reassurance. I am sure this is a stressful situation but I think having good information can help you feel more in control and less anxious.

The fact that you do have this abdominal discomfort in the lower right side does not necessarily reflect a possible pregnancy although we cannot dismiss that possibility completely at this time. Other symptoms to be mindful of are fever, nausea, vomiting, abnormal bleeding and constipation. It sounds like you have some bloating, weight gain and perhaps a bit of fluctuation in mood along with the breast sensitivity. With all of this in the context of the history of sex during the ovulatory period will necessitate a test for pregnancy. The best time to test for a pregnancy is the first day after which your period would be regarded as late. If your cycles are irregular or you don’t chart your cycles, I wouldn’t take a test until you’ve past the longest menstrual cycle you usually have. For example, if your cycles range from 30 to 36 days, the best time to take a test would be day 37 or later.

I don't see a need for an urgent doctor visit right now as long as you have no fever and as long as the pain is not progressively getting worse. The ovarian cyst history is not a concern at this time as well. You could certainly try a pregnancy test even right now but the concern is that testing this early could lead to a false negative result - that is to say the test would show you to be not pregnant when in fact you might actually be pregnant and the hormone levels just have not risen to a high enough level to be detected by the test.

I hope you have found this information to be helpful and informative. If I can help you with a followup, please feel free to ask.