How can the fracture of the tibia be healed along with ACL surgery?

Hi, I had acl replacement surgery 2 days ago. As the dr was putting the screw in my tibia bone it caused a fracture in my bone around the screw. It was jagged shape and very visible. He said my recovery will be slower now, that I could partial weight bear and go to physical therapy Monday. Do you think that is the best thing for me? And if I delay p.t. Will I get good acl resuts?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 minutes later
Hi Carri,

Thank you for your query.

I appreciate the concern you have regarding your recent surgery. I certainly agree with your surgeons recommendations in this setting. You are young and healthy and the minor fracture created by the screw will heal through your body's natural bone healing process.

I am very confident that you will still obtain optimal ACL results even with a short delay in starting PT. It is best to assure good stability of the bone prior to challenging the flexibility of the new ACL. You are on the road to recovery - you just have a short detour to take before continuing on the route which PT will pave for you.

I hope this has been informative and reassuring for you and if you have followups I will be happy to answer them.

Dr. Robert Galamaga