How can the foreskin cracks and itching be treated in a diabetic patient?

i am a diabetic and from time to time my foreskin form small cracks and i cannot pull it back all the way as it is painfull i have applied some canestan cream but it seams to be to strong because my penis head and foreskin becomes very red and itchy
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
Hi thanks for the query.

Frequent penile infection is caused by the diabetes.You need to get your sugars under control before the infection can be controlled.You can apply canestan cream but if adhesions have occurrred then you will need manipulation under anesthesia or surgery if required.
You should also do a course a of antifungal drugs.

Apply lubrication all the time.Dont try to retract the skin forcefully.

Repeat your fasting/postprandial( post food ) sugars.

Follow-up: How can the foreskin cracks and itching be treated in a diabetic patient? 41 minutes later
what lubrication can i apply give me some name or names that wont burn
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 20 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query.

Lubrication is the key here. Same time lubrication and antifungal should not be applied at the same time as the antifungal is not absorbed properly. Hence do give a gap of 4 hours before the antifungal application.

You can use K-Y jelly or simple vaseline for lubrication. But the cracks need to heal completely before you get permanent relief. Alternative is to speak to the pharmacist at the store for medicated gels for faster healing. They should be available over the counter without a prescription.

Ideally for chronic disease or low immune states like Diabetes we strongly recommend to XXXXXXX a physician / dermatologist for appropriate examination and complete treatment. I hope you understand what do I mean.

Wish You Good Health.