How can the bloating and hard stools, mucus discharge be treated during pregnancy?

Question
Hi...I am currently 6 weeks pregnant. Before I was pregnant I was having IBS type symptoms. I did have a colonoscopy 3 years ago and it came back clear. I was given Lexapro for anxiety which I am not taking anymore because of my pregnancy. I am 28 years old. The last 2 days I have had bowel movements 2-3 times a day, but they are hard and have lots of globs of white and yellowish mucus. I also have a lot of gas/bloating and have been really uncomfortable most of the day. Is this normal for pregnancy and/or IBS?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query. Pregnancy definitely has an effect on the IBS but precisely what the effect will be is a little difficult to predict.

Some women have a worsened contipation whereas others may have diarrhea. Constipation (passing stools of hard consistency) are much more common.

These are due to several reasons like using iron tablets which are commonly used during pregnancy, lack of exercise during pregnancy, changes in diet (containing less of fibers) & the physical pressure of the baby on the bowel.

A few suggestions which would help are ensuring you are drinking plenty of water, remember to exercise daily and drinking warm water before breakfast can sometimes stimulate the bowel.

Some natural fiber supplements can also be used in ensuring a good bowel. Drugs should be avoided during the first trimester of pregnancy when the organ development of the baby begins. Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How can the bloating and hard stools, mucus discharge be treated during pregnancy? 9 hours later
Thank you for answering! Do you think I need to be concerned over the increase in mucus I'm passing? I know it can happen with constipation but I do seem to be going at least twice a day, it's just a hard consistency and small in volume.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Increased mucus in stools in the first trimester of pregnancy is due to worsening of the IBS. Other causes are parasitic infection, ulcerative colitis, anal fissure, bowel obstruction and bacterial infection but they are less likely.

Follow the general methods described above because no drug is safe is first trimester of pregnancy. It should get better. If the symptoms persist then you can get a stool examination done after consulting a gastroenterologist.