How can swollen lymph nodes in the neck be treated?

I am 37 and have had an increasing number of swollen lymph nodes in my neck. CT said they are in the "high end of normal" in size (5 in total), I also have cysts on my throid, elevated liver enzymes and a small cyst in my left ovary. Everyone is in a lets wait and see mode. Should I get another opinion?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

Gradually increasing neck lymph nodes for last two years in the absence of any infection definitely need to be investigated at first. If there is an associated weight loss then definitely a delay in diagnosis might affect the prognosis.

Lymph nodes swelling are one of the things which inform us about the breach in immune system.

It could have been breached by micro-organisms that is infection, continuous inflammation, hypersensitivity or uncontrolled production of WBC's like in cancer. These are all the possibilities.

Sometimes few slow growing bacteria like TB bacteria will seem to respond to the the regular anti-biotics but it doesn't and continues to grow for a longer time until the proper treatment is taken. There are many bacteria which are like this.

Even virus which doesn't have specific antibiotics can go on like this if your body's natural defence is weak.

Few autoimmune diseases like Hashimoto's Thyroiditis can cause swelling of the neck which is most often due to an ear infection and fever earlier. Similarly the cancerous cells grow in this pattern.

So please consult your doctor as physical examination of the lymph nodes, FNAC and lab investigations are a must to confirm and rule out persisting infection and other causes.

Also, the cyst in the ovary, which causes pain and bleeding during intercourse needs to be evaluated further. Do consult your doctor regarding this also.

I personally do not feel this is a wait and watch situation.

I hope I have cleared your doubt. Feel free to write to me for any other query I will be available to answer.