How can sexual obsession be treated?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi im my selp Ravindra, i have more intrest in sex mine 24 years but i dont want this much intrest in sex because im unmarried , if i saw some body im getting some many thinkings in my mind about sex, i want control all these think(thinking sexual life,scrubbing ) pls help i want come on this, give some good suggestions ,
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 days later
Brief Answer: There is need to work on sexual thoughts. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 24 year old male • Complaints of: Excessive sexual thoughts. It is usual to have sexual thoughts in your age group. Even masturbation (4-10 times per week) is considered normal in your age group. But these thoughts need attention when become excessive and cause distress. Your primary problem appear to excessive sexual thoughts intrusion in consciousness leading to distress. From the history it appear that you are having sexual obsessions. Obsessions are thoughts that recur and persist despite efforts to ignore or confront them. Obsession are seen in obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Many time people do mental compulsion by distracting their attention in some other thoughts or work to reduce such thoughts. OCD is a type of anxiety disorder. To confirm the diagnosis you may need detail evaluation by psychiatrist. There is no need to reduce sexual interest. You just need treatment for excessive sexual thoughts. In drug treatment most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like fluoxetine) are used. SSRI usually takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. In nondrug treatment cognitive behaviour therapy is helpful. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards, http://bit.ly/Dr-Ashish-Mittal