How can severe pain in the legs be treated?

Hi, I have lower back pain but all the pain is now in my right leg, from hip to just above the knee at the front , feels all muscular (contracting and hot) however this is extremely painful. I cannot function normally, walk, sit and sleep and am taking Diazepam 5mg, Tramdol 50mg and Co-codamol 30g/500 to releive the severe pain. Once the medicine wears off, the severe pain which is unbearable is still there, cannot stand straight or walk straight or sit down or sleep comfortably. MRI scan suggests L3/L4 disc lapse with slight bulge above L4. Any ideas please that don't need surgery, I am 48 and Self Employed and am suffering both pain and Financially as I can't work at the moment (Desk Based Job). Thanks
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later

Severe pain in the legs is commonly seen in lumbar disc prolapse. A step wise approach is usually considered in treating the pain and surgery is the last resort in this step wise approach.

It is good that at the pain gets relieved on taking pain killers. This indicates that you can take a conservative treatment and surgery is not immediately needed.

For better and longer relief, you can add a good muscle relaxant like Thiocolchicoside to the pain killers that you are currently taking( tramadol), after consulting with your orthopaedician. If you are able to do your daily work with the help of pain killers and muscle relaxants then you can avoid the surgery for some time.

Physiotherapy is also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and surgical treatment is not considered. Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.