Ask a Urologist   »  

How can recurrent bladder infection with bad breath and bad urine smell be treated ?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? I'm a very healthy person, I've always gotten bladder infections growing up, but now they are very frequent and My pee also smells, and I feel like Im having to brush my teeth five times a day, because my breath will start to smell. This is disgusting to me and I'm freaking out! Should I be worried, I can't get into the doctors till next week.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 40 minutes later

Thanks for query.

As you said you are having frequent bladder infection, I hope this diagnosed by your doctor and not just your presumption.

Repeated urine infection is common in females,but bladder infection needs proper evaluation and treatment accordingly. Some times both the partners need treatment if you are married.

You may need to see a urologist and get your self properly evaluated. Some tests like blood counts,urine routine and urine culture and ultrasound for kidneys and bladder is needed to have complete diagnosis and proper treatment.

You need to take antibiotic for longer period in case of bladder infection. The recent problem of having bad smell in urine may be because of infection.

Please have more of fluids, do not avoid urination for long time, maintain proper local hygiene. Take good diet and maintain general hygiene also. Use protection during sex.

The bad breath that you have might be due to some infection in gums or gastric problem. You can use any mouth wash for removing this bad breath. Avoid foods with specific tests, and take light diet. Do not forget to gargle properly after any food you take.

For bladder infection you have to visit a doctor. Sooner is better, as the time passes by the bacteria will multiply and can lead to more problem.

I hope this answers your query,I will be available for follow up.