How can rectal bleeding and gritty feeling in stool be treated ?

rectal bleeding, stool is solid but has grit in it almost looks like salt
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Hello Clint,

The gritty feeling of stool is due to something hard that you have eaten like guava seeds or pomegranate. It will go off once you change your diet accordingly.
Regarding the rectal bleeding the commonest cause is amoebic dysentry which can be ruled by a stool examination and need antibiotics fro treatment.

If the blood is not mixed with stool and comes separately, then the chances are that you are suffering from hemorrhoids. In both the cases, you need to consult your GP for diagnosis and prescribing the medicines.

Some measures for you:
1)Have fiber XXXXXXX diet as oats XXXXXXX pulses,flax-seeds as they help in bowel movement.You can take "Triphala churn" which is an ayurvedic preparation for bowel movements.
2)Drink lots of water throughout the day.
3)Go for a brisk walk or jogging daily for half an hour.
4)Take "Sitz bath"(tub filled with hot water,add potassium permanganate and sit with buttocks down for 5 to 10 minutes 2 to 3 times in a day)
5)Take Bioflavinoids in supplement form.It is also found in citrus fruits.
6)Apply Calendula cream or Aloe vera gel around the inflamed area to relieve
itching and pain if there is any.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: How can rectal bleeding and gritty feeling in stool be treated ? 3 hours later
These symptoms have been going on for a minimum of two years. I have seen doctors and specialists for the problem and they have given me similar reactions that you did. I have tryed all these fixes but hey are only temorary or they help but do not cure. Any other ideas?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
If you have already taken all these treatments and were not benefited then i think surgery is the only option left for you. You should get an appointment with your surgeon and discuss it with him.
It is a minor procedure and usually recurrences do not occur.
Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.