How can persistent soreness of upper back, shoulder and lower neck muscles be treated ?

For 3-4 weeks I have had soreness in the muscles of by extreme upper back, shoulder and lower neck- all on the right side- and now I have tenderness of and swelling around the right clavicle. I am 59 years old, very good overall physical condition, a frequent and vigorous exerciser. Hgt- 6'1'/wgt- 200 lbs.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later

The pain on the upper back, shoulder and neck restricted to the right side only with swelling of clavicle is suggestive of following possibilities-

1. Cervical spondylosis- due to age related degenerative changes in the cervical spine. An X-ray of neck in lateral view will help in the diagnosis.
2. Inflammation of sternoclavicular joint- can be due to injury or stress due to exercise.
3. Ligament / muscle pull.

All these conditions need a careful examination by an orthopaedician for diagnosis along with some investigations like X-ray of shoulder joint and some blood investigations to rule out any infection.

Meanwhile give rest to your shoulder joint, avoid using a pillow, take a pain killer like acetaminophen, and wear an arm sling and use a cervical collar for relief.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. If you have any more concerns, I will be available for follow up.