How can persistent rashes be treated?

68, 5'10'', 185. used to look young for my age, but am begining to slide quickly. Have people thinking I've gotten a sunburn, but spend most of my time indoors. Wear glasses, and there is a pale area around my eyes as if the glasses are preventing the redness. Have been getting rashes on scalp and arms and upper chest. They are red and itchy. Treated with cortizone and urea alleviates the rash, but it doesn't really go completely away. get pitikia, and skin tone is down. Easy to get scrapes. Have a rased crusty area in places where I use fingers to turn on lamps, etc. distal knuckles all have circular scabby areas like scar tissue. Used to get blister like and persistent sores (not very painful) in these areas, but that no longer happens. Have a pinkish rash around the hair growth between knuckles. All of this is a culmination of about three years of ever increasing symptoms.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

From everything you have submitted it sounds like you have developed a variant of psoriasis. Would it be possible for you to submit a photo of some of the typical looking skin changes?

If this is psoriasis it can also present with other systemic symptoms such as fatigue and joint pains. It is somewhat of an autoimmune process and can sometimes be treated with topical or oral medications.

It sounds like you are a vibrant 68 year old and this should not limit the extent of your physical and social activity.

I await the photos if you are able to send them. I thank you again for your query. I hope you found my response to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga