How can pain in left big toe around the nail bed and dark nails be treated ?

Question
My left big toe aches around the nail bed and the surrounding area. I have dark nails that I believe I need the laser treatement to cure the problem, however, that is toooo expensive at the moment. My big toe is very sensitive to the touch and I am concerned. Please feed back is needed.
Thanks
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 56 minutes later

Your concern of pain in the big toe around the nail bed and dark nails which are separating from the nailbed.

From your symptoms few important possibilities should be ruled out. These include:
1) Paronychia: It results from a breakdown of the protective barrier between the nail and the nail fold. In your case the ingrown nail could have precipitated the problem. It is diagnosed by gram staining and KOH wet mounts from the skin and nail scrapings. So I suggest you to get the gram staining and KOH wet mounts done from a dermatologist.

2) Dark nails separating from the nail beds can be due to fungal infections, bacterial infection like pseudomonas and systemic causes like vitamin B 12 deficiency, diabetes mellitus, thyroid diseases or skin causes like psoriasis skin.

Soak the big toe in warm bearable water, 3-4 times per day to relieve some of the pain. You may also need oral antibiotics like Cephalexin or Dicloxacillin which are available on prescription.

If the symptoms of pain persist then a portion of the nail may be removed by your doctor. Also then get the above mentioned possibilities ruled out by getting a gram staining and bacterial and fungal culture of the nail scrapings and systemic investigations like fasting blood sugar levels, vitamin B 12 levels and thyroid hormone levels done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How can pain in left big toe around the nail bed and dark nails be treated ? 2 hours later
I have spider veins on my legs and thighs. I was told that I should get the laser treatment to get rid of them and I also was told to try a medication called venacura. Are you aware of this information and what is the best option. They are unattractive and I once had gorgeous legs. I don't want to get the laser with the injection that will close off the veins if this may cause present or future issues. Please help?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Venacura is a non-prescription pill to treat varicose veins and spider veins but it is not without side effects and hence should be used only after prescription.

Regarding spider veins, you can go in for sclerotherapy. This is an in-office procedure where veins are injected with a solution, using small needles, which causes them to collapse. Otherwise you can also go in for laser treatment.

During laser treatment, intense light is directed to the veins, eliminating them permanently. Lasers are especially suited to treat small spider veins when a needle cannot be used and is non invasive. Hence you can go in for laser treatment as it is one of the best options.