How can my lower back pain be cured ?

hello.i have done some awkward twisting at work and from then i have LBP which radiates to my right buttock and rt feet.i had some back pain before however they did not last so long and have not been as bad as this one.usually i am very fit and active.i have done MRI and the results are mild L4/5 and L5/s1 facet joint arthropathy and small annular fissure to the rt s1/s2 disc.does it mean i have worsen my LB by wrong twising?how can my pain be treated?thank you for your help.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later

By doing some twisting you have caused compression of the nerves around L-4,5 and S1 which were already slightly affected due to slight joint arthropathy. The problem is not very serious but definitely needs medical attention.

For treatment of the pain you need to have some good analgesics like aceclofenac along with a good muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside after consulting your orthopaedician. Intraarticular injections with anesthetics and endurance training can also be done.

Supplementation with methylcobalamin will also help in relieving symptoms due to nerve root impingement.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- Apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.
- use a firm mattress for sleeping which gives a good support to your back.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: How can my lower back pain be cured ? 2 hours later
thank you for information.i have been having this pain for 6 weeks already and it is not really getting you know how long it will be soar?also i have found that joint arthropaty is usually for people above age of come that i have it while i am maintaining healthy life style all my life and I am 31 years old?and the last question is what does the annular fissure in S1-S2 means.can it be the source of the pain?thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

If your pain is not getting better for last six weeks then you need to reconsider the treatment you are getting, discuss the other treatment options available with your treating doctor and can even take second opinions.
By now you should have got at least some relief with the medicines.

Joint arthropathy is an age related change which has developed a bit prematurely in you. It is just like premature hair graying- no explainable reason.

Annular fissure in S1-2 means that there is a depression like XXXXXXX on the disc in between the vertebral bodies of S1 and S2 vertebra. This is just a chance finding and has no clinical correlation.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you an early recovery.