How can morphine sulfate and Xanax help me in heart issues?

In regards to possible heart attack that is not responsive to nitroglycerin how safe do you belief it to be to concurrently give morphine sulfate (for pain and SOB) and Xanax (for anxiety and SOB)? (person of topic has already sought and is receiving emergency care)
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 minutes later
Hello and thank you for writing to us.

Morphine helps by relieving pain, anxiety, and increasing circulation of blood to the heart. Although, in recent times there have been a number of adverse reactions observed in individuals treated with morphine. Morphine decreases blood pressure and slows the heart down. In a few patients, this can be fatal. Thus, strict monitoring after the administration of morphine is required.

Xanax (alprazolam) is considered completely safe to treat patients for anxiety relating to a heart attack. Only long-term use can cause cardiovascular effects like arrhythmia, hypertension, increased heart rate and thus increased risk of heart attacks.

In my opinion, if the person involved has not suffered any complications from morphine use, he/she should be safe, but future use should also be only with strict monitoring. Xanax can be discontinued in a few days.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any more information or clarifications. Wishing your friend a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: How can morphine sulfate and Xanax help me in heart issues? 13 hours later
That you for your insight. My friend is doing well.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 minutes later
That is great news.

I am glad I could contribute. You could write back to me for any more information or rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.