How can mid back pain radiating to shoulder and jaw in aneurysm patient be treated?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, my mom is having mid-back pain radiating to shoulders and jaw. She is 83, weighs 115. She has an Anerism on the back of her heart.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 46 minutes later

Back pain with an aneurysm should never be taken lightly, however mild it may be.
Though back pain is unusual for your Mom's age, the presence of an aneurysm is worrisome.

I advise you to visit the doctor at the earliest as back pain could also be due to an impeding tear of the aneurysm.

If turned otherwise, after the doctors visit, the likely cause of back ache, at 83 should be Osteoporosis and degenerative spine disorder.

She needs Calcium supplements and hormone modulating therapy or other drugs upregulating bone formation prescribed by an Orthopaedician and based on her blood calcium levels.

She needs to do some gentle exercises for flexibility of her spine and neck. I advise you to get a physiotherapist's opinion for the same.

I would also suggest you to have a bone scan or X-ray done (after ruling out any problem with the aneurysm) to rule out bone cancer, as it's also a common cause of back ache at this age.

Hope, I have answered your queries. I will available for further follow up.

Wish her good health.

Thank you.