How can marijuana smoke affect the unborn baby?

My boyfriend smokes maraiuana in our apartment and although it is always in another room, I can sometimes smell it in the room I am in. I am worried how this may be affecting our baby who is 2 months old. He never smokes in the same room as the baby, but if I can smell it, the baby must be able to as well.
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
While passive smoking ( like in this case) with marijuana is known to exist, it has been shown that if the person is doing it in another room, the blood levels of cannabis in the blood are practically undetectable.
Marijuana definitely affects children and they may be certain periods during child development when cannabis can significantly affect the development of the brain. Also, there are signs of inefficient brain function in such a children.
Given this, I would suggest that you tell your boyfriend quit altogether or leave the house when he needs to smoke.
Hope that helps