How can linitis plastica be treated?

My sister age 44 is diagnose linitis plastica she is never been ill before. She has two children. She doesn't feel sick at all, the only thing she has is that she cannot drink when she eat because she get a full stomage. No stomage pain or weith loss.
My other sister died 12 years (age 36) from this same cancer linitis plastica

I am looking for the best specialist for these cancer for his opinion for treatment. I know that in Japan there is much more information about this type of cancer
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 11 hours later

I am sorry to hear about your sisters. Most probably there is a familial syndrome going on.

As for her treatment, we should have the baseline tests done like CT scan or PET scans, biopsy and blood tests. If it is a localized disease, then best bet is radical gastrectomy and adjuvant chemoradiation if necessary. If it is inoperable, then chemotherapy followed by surgery may be feasible.

I understand that you are in Netherlands and Europe you find good Onco Surgeons. I dont think you should move to Japan.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: How can linitis plastica be treated? 2 hours later
Thank you for the answer but the most important question is to find a doctor that has much experience with this cancer. I dont know if you have this experience. Like I told before I want to concact a specialist to I can get a second opinion, advice and so on..

Because in the Netherlands this form of cancer is very unknown I want to find a specialist who has treated this cancer

Please help us
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

You can consult Dr XXXXXXX van Cutsem, who is currently Professor of XXXXXXX Medicine at the University of Leuven (Belgium). He is responsible for the division of Digestive Oncology at the University Hospital Gasthuisberg.

Though he is a medical oncologist, he is a world-renowned figure in gastric cancer. He will be pleased to guide you and suggest a surgeon from his team.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish your sister a good health.