How can irregular periods be treated?

hello, i am 28, in the beginning, when i started my periods at the age 13 i have had them irregularly, from the age 25 they became very regular, whilst for the last couple of months they are irregular again. My last period was very lite and is as of today is late a week. I have no change in diet , there has been no stress or weight gain/loss. I am definitely not pregnant. The only difference is that i have been taking MSM supplement together with collagen for about 4 months.
I am worried there is something wrong with my reproductive system and i have early menopause etc. there have been no other systems however, such as hot flushes/night sweats, although several months ago i had little red bumps in my face which i thought were simply due to change in a face cream. Could you please let me know whether irregular periods are ok... by the way my mum is the same (irregular also) and if there is some natural supplement i may take to regulate them. I am not taking a pill contraceptive as i am still a virgin and shall not have sexual life before marriage
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 14 hours later

Irregular periods are generally due to hormonal disturbances.

You will need evaluation. Its important to look for milk discharge from breast, facial hair, look for grey pigmentation in underarms between legs, etc

Few blood tests to look at the FSH, LH, PRL (prolactin), TSH and thryroid hormones on day 2 or 3 of cycle are entailed. Along with this an ultrasound examination would complete the evaluation.

You may get the physical evaluation and thee investigations under guidance of a gynecologist.

If all these tests are ok and You have normal body weight, then I don't worry. Else treatment is advised.

Hope this answer has been informative as well as useful to you. Should you have more concerns with this regards, I am available to address them too.

Follow-up: How can irregular periods be treated? 2 hours later
thank you. very informative. I do not seem to have abnormal marks on my body, nor have excessive facial hair ( just a few for many years now) or discharge from breasts.

Do you think it is generally safe to take MSM?

thanks again
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 12 hours later
Thanks for the query,

MSM is generally used for pain and swelling of the joints caused by osteoarthritis.

Its always good to take them under medical supervision.

Supplements are generally safe,unless there are issues with absorbtion from bowel.

The common side effects seen are stomach upset, headache, or worsening of allergy.

Caution is advised if you have diabetes, alcohol dependence, or liver disease.

Hope my answer is adequate,i will be available for further follow up.